torstai 14. toukokuuta 2015

Zoomagination - how it all started

In spring 2014 I was busy writing my final thesis and just like everyone else, pretty much unemployed. My dreams were big and I had thought of many different possibilities on what to do after school. I've always been a huge animal fan, worked with animals in a very small scale but I never thought I would work as a animal caretaker. At that point I lived in Tallinn, Estonia and used to be a golden client at the Zoo. Then I stumbled across a job opening - to the Zoo itself.

You got a job WHERE? Was probably the most asked question my boyfriend, friends, parents, relatives and apparently the cat we took care of asked too. I studied to be a cultural producer, event manager to be exact and everyone thought I was going to clean elephant poop. I can't blame them, it wasn't quite clear what was going to be my position and job description. After a while all those question marks turned into "Yes, I can see you working at the Zoo".

Today I have worked for exactly one year. I started on 14th of May 2014 and yes, I have looked back a few times. Not to blame anyone, but the job here is pretty hectic. Maybe not in a same way as somewhere else, bankers, schools or big-ass corporations but you know, different kind of hectic. In case you have a pet, you can imagine what it's like to work in the same area with 10 000 pets, some of them are just a bit more wild than others. My luck, won't tell if it's good or bad, is that I work with people and try to manage them.

Shortly put: I work in the environmental education and PR department as an administrator. Trailer Park Boys fans can now smile and giggle, yes, administrator at a zoo. My main job is to organize and coordinate events for visitors and private parties, book tours and guides and help whenever I am needed. I have helped to move alpacas from one place to another, scrubbed floors and also did a customer survey. All of these fill my day from pretty much dusk till dawn and I'm pretty sure my boyfriend Tommi is soon going to do an intervention.

My decision to create this blog was influenced by many people. I have thought of keeping a personal diary but then I realized that maybe these happenings and stories might be of interest to other people as well. I'd like to sit back one day and read all the funny and crazy things that happened in Tallinn Zoo, with people and animals. I hope my thoughts and my imagination are something to keep people happy and smiling. Just in case - this blog is my personal and my writings are not official opinions of Tallinn Zoo. There, now I'm free to tell you everything I want!

Want to find out what happens when a Finnish girl is working in an old 75-year-old municipal organisation where are more than 10 000 animals from over 500 different species and more than 200 employees? That's what I'm here to tell you.

Please enjoy some pictures from Tallinn Zoo while I'll tell you some pretty amazing news,

Last Sunday, on 10th of May our snow leopard family grew! These are some fresh screenshots from the webcam that our keepers use to monitor them. Our female snow leopard Deli is taking excellent care of its two cubs that both seem to be doing well. Although I do not work with animals, all births of these amazing (my favorite) felines are extremely important. If all goes well, visitors will be able to see them in a few months when the cubs will be let out to explore the world.

I'll definitely write down if something really exciting happens - if our keepers are willing to share any news with me after I post everything online. Let's see what happens...

Oh and no, my goal is definitely not share all the zoo secrets but to describe what it's like to work in such large and interesting place.



Here are some more pictures from the Zoo, just for fun!


European bison
(Bison bonasus)











Siberian tiger
(Panthera tigris altaica)



Name: Pootsman
Age: 4
Male




Amur leopard cub
(Panthera pardus orientalis)

Born 3rd of April 2014
















I will now end my official first blog post and thank you for reading! More information about the zoo itself: www.tallinnzoo.ee. Until next time,

C.

Follow me on instagram @cmyv


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti